INSPIRE – Immersive Training Programme in Primary STEM Engagement
20 November 2018
Get involved in an innovative training and delivery programme to feed into a large regional event to support STEM Engagement in Derby!
Aims: This three step approach will support businesses in being able to reach out into their communities, inspire young people and raise aspirations for opportunities within local businesses in STEM. We are offering a structured, immersive programme for individuals and businesses who are looking to improve their strategy and practice in STEM outreach. The school-based approach will boost confidence and skill-up ambassadors to ignite passion in young children for the opportunities STEM provides.
This is a pilot programme from the Derby STEM Research, Engagement and Education Partnership led by the Derby Research School and supported by Rolls-Royce, Ferrero-Thorntons, STEM Ambassador Hub and the FOSAC – Festival of Science and Curiosity.
Why get involved?
– Inspire young people in STEM
– Raise aspirations and awareness of local career opportunities
– Build links and develop relationships between local schools and businesses
– Secure future pipeline into the industry
– Feed back into the evidence base
– Structured support to kick-start or enhance your Primary STEM outreach
– Develop a clear evidence-based STEM Engagement Strategy
– Upskill your STEM Ambassadors in delivering effective outreach work
– Meet your CSR objectives and raise your profile as an outwardly looking community-engaged business
– Build confidence in working with primary schools
– Get support in being able to adapt your planning and ideas to the primary setting
– Gain accreditation in evidence-informed practice
– Build your STEM Ambassador portfolio
– Enable STEM Awe and Wonder in our classrooms
– Connect with people from the STEM industry and local businesses
– STEM Ambassador role models delivering in your own school setting
– Raising aspirations and awareness of STEM careers
– Support more effective STEM Ambassador engagement in schools
STAGE 1: Immersion Training
STEM Ambassador Training: The STEM Ambassador Hub and Research School are piloting an exciting training opportunity for STEM Ambassadors in the region. This is an immersive school-based experience to build confidence for STEM Ambassadors supporting them to tailor their outreach to school needs with greater impact. Following on from the training, all STEM Ambassadors will be given the opportunity to deliver a session to children in schools and receive detailed evaluation to help inform their practice.
Immersion Morning 14th January (AM)
Planning Morning 21st January (AM)
Delivery Session to be organised for the week beginning 28th January based upon the availability of the STEM Ambassador
Where? Wyndham Primary Academy
STAGE 2: Embedding Practice – Festival of Science and Curiosity
FOSAC is scaling up its fantastic, interactive programme of STEM engagement activities to include opportunities for schools and business in Derby. The event reaches out directly into the community to link businesses, schools and families in STEM outreach work.
STEM Ambassadors participating in the pilot training programme will have the opportunity to deliver their newly planned STEM activity to support the event in schools across Derby or Nottingham.
Festival of Science and Curiosity – February 13th – 20th
Website: Festival of Science and Curiosity
STEM Ambassadors unable to complete an outreach project during the week of FOSAC will have the opportunity to deliver their activity at a later date.
STAGE 3: Building a Case Study
The Derby Opportunity Area Case Study: As an output from the pilot and event, we will be supporting the creation of a case study to share the lessons learned and continue to build the evidence base on what works for STEM Outreach in Schools. This is to continue to share the lessons around what can support businesses in reaching their CSR and outreach objectives. The paper will outline the current evidence base and support businesses in working in the most effective ways to support their own growth and development, of their employees and pipeline recruitment and sustainability into the industry.
Complete an expression of interest on the link here:
For any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted on 20 November 2018
Posted in: Training/CPD