Parental Engagement Programme 2018-2019 – Programme Offer
11 September 2018
Get your parents on board with how you teacher maths!
Following on from a successful bid to the ‘Let Teachers Shine’ Grant, we are pleased to offer 20 places to primary schools in Derby to support them in delivering a series of ‘Parent Maths Masterclasses’ in their own school settings. Schools will be supported in planning a series of sessions for 10 parents to immerse them into their own approach to the teaching in maths so that parents feel confident in supporting their children at home with maths homework.
What’s on offer?
– Free ‘toolboxes’ of resources for all 20 parents which include manipulatives to be used at home with their children
– Training for maths leads to roll out the approach in their own setting and support in making it bespoke for their own school’s approach
– Materials provided by the NCETM in line with mastery principles
– A certificate of completion endorsed by the University of Derby for all parents attending as an ‘adult numeracy’ skill
What’s the evidence?
Parents play a crucial role in supporting their children’s learning, and levels of parental engagement are consistently associated with children’s academic outcomes. Schools and early years settings can support parents to engage with their children’s learning in a wide range of ways, for example, by:
- providing regular feedback on children’s progress,
- offering advice on improving the home learning environment, and
- running more intensive programmes for children struggling with reading or behaviour.
We know that specific programmes with a focus on translating school practice into the home can have a real impact on pupil outcomes. The EEF trial on parental engagement for reading in year 1 classrooms, SPOKES, demonstrated a real impact not only in that year but the following years.
Looking at the lessons learned from this project and other evaluation trials and the evidence, we will work with schools to ensure that the approach is tightly aligned to the core principles of high impact parental engagement approaches.
When is the programme?
Launch event – Monday 8th October (1.30pm – 4.00pm) @ Ashwood Spencer Academy, Amber St, Derby DE24 8FT (Note: optional arrival from 12.30pm as lunch is provided – opportunities to network!)
Training day – Monday 5th November (9.30am – 4.00pm) @ Ashwood Spencer Academy
From November to July, there is time for schools to deliver their own programmes with a follow up coaching session for support. This quality assurance visit is to offer support for delivery.
End-of-year network – Wednesday 10th July (2.00pm – 4.00pm) @ Venue TBC) – The re-visit is to support translating lessons learned from the first year of practice and support schools in continuing with the approach in the following year. We can offer support also with advice on how to apply the approach to English.
How can you take part?
Please complete the form here to book a place on the funded Maths Parental Engagement Programme (‘Our Maths Masterclasses’).
Posted on 11 September 2018
Posted in: Training/CPD